Sunday, March 2, 2008

Historic Election

So I have often been asked in these last few months about this historic race in the democratic party and how I feel about things, because almost everyone who knows me knows I am a feminist. And I answer cautiously. It is amazing that there is a woman running for the highest seat in our government and that she is running against a black man. This race is an example of the strides of both how women and minorities are at the forefront of the political arena. I think with the eve of the real super Tuesday upon us I am truly looking at Hilary.

Would she be able to the job? Most certainly. She has the experience and the passion. Can Obama? I don't know, he does have the passion, but not the experience. However, comparing either of the candidates to the current sitting leader of our country I think a cocker spaniel could do a more effective job running our government. In regards to either candidates public presence, I think Hilary is an enigma. She has weathered some of the most ridiculous scandals our country has ever seen. I mean, for God's sake her husband was on trial (in the public arena and in the actual trial) for having a blow job in the Oval office. That just sounds like a subplot of a satirical political movie. However, the presence she has is over shadowed I believe, by the sexist media coverage of these primaries. The most coverage she received was when she cried in New Hampshire. CBS Sunday Morning took that and did a whole story about political candidates and when they cry and how it effects their campaigns. I think that because she is a woman this action was magnified. Then we look at Obama as a public speaker and he is so effective as an orator I believe this is why he has the following that he does (read: "Yes, we Can!).

I think that Hilary is going to loose and that makes me sad. Being for Obama seems to be the trendy thing to be. As a feminist I very much want a woman being in charge of this country, but not only for the fact that Hilary is a woman, but because she is a great leader. She did an amazing amount for women and families when Bill was president and how much do you want to bet that while he was all tied up with Monica she actually running the country making all the decision. I could see it.

Regardless of who wins the democratic seat I very much want someone in the White House who will try to make this country prosperously by supporting legislation that helps women and children, the environment and more peace globally.

Just a few thoughts.....

No comments: